At first it felt close to cheating, after all, there I was using gasoline. But like yesterday, we were definitely carpooling. And we began our day together. The conversation was light, and our time was short, but all the same, kisses, "I love you"s, and "Have a good day" greetings were exchanged. That warm memory has kept me company all day.
I'm prepared to walk home. The backpack is heavy, but it's all there will be to carry. And the distance is short. A couple of people here know about my mission, and this blog (thanks for reading!), so maybe someone will offer me a ride home. But that's beside the point.
When I look ahead at this year as a whole, it's pretty likely that I'll get a few more rides now and then. What might it be like for people to know where I live? What does seeing someone's house tell you about a person; what could people infer about me and my family?
We live in a small home built around 1910, in the heart of downtown. Some drivers might notice the quaint neighborhood. Others might evaluate the area based on average home price (which is low.) Still others be reminded of their own childhood neighborhood, and associate seeing my home with those memories. For us, our home means three things: location, location, location. We're close to so many things, and we love the solid wood flooring and doors. We also love having a small house as it's less to clean.
Regardless of others' inferences about me and my family based on our home, connections will be made when others come here, even if they stay in their cars. We were fortunate to host someone with whom I work closely, for a short working visit over the winter break. While she didn't give us a ride that day, she comes to mind as I think about building relationships. It was a peaceful visit, we got a bit of work accomplished, and more than that we made a connection. She saw our Christmas decorations, noticed our other decor, played around on our piano, and complimented our living space. That positive experience gave us a new, palpable layer of relating to one another. As it was happening I knew we were adding a new dimention, however small, our relationship. When we saw each other next at work, there was an added depth to our greeting. This new connection gives dimention to our working relationship.
I guess there's always risk in making connections. What if someone you invite to your home decides it's ok to show up unannounced at some later date? What if a guest chooses to think ill of you based on your taste in color? Opening myself, our home, and the logistics of my life to involve others means being willing to take these kinds of risks. But so far, they are paying off in spades. I feel closer to friends, family, and co-workers.
What other avenues of building relationship work? Under what other circumstances could I make such connections with others? I rarely see co-workers outside of work. In regards to my family, it's becoming more and more the case that we're living according to our own schedules and need to be intentional about finding time to enjoy one another. We've lived across the street from several houses for almost a decade, and their occupants are complete strangers to us. Somehow opening my life in a way that reducing my driving enables is, by default, supporting my capacity to build community in my personal and professional life.
No comments:
Post a Comment