Monday, January 10, 2011

1-10-11 8:18 pm Victory!

You may be thinking: "It's only been five days - victory already?" And victory over what? That remains to be determined, but today feels like a victory none the less. According to my sources at work, the temperature dipped to four degrees Fahrenheit around the time I was walking in. I did it anyway. Despite doubts, viable excuses, and slippery walks, it happened.

What's more, Anne and I also walked home together. We had reassuring offers for rides, thanks to caring friends, and certainly a few doubtful looks from teachers wondering whether Anne was adequately dressed. But the walk felt refreshing. (And she was fine, by they way). Today we spent the hour (Anne loves to kick at the snow and watch the crystal flakes disperse, which adds about 15 minutes to the trip) reviewing her spelling bee word list. Her ability to observe the snow, exert herself, keep warm, and study all at the same time surprised and impressed me.

The exercise felt good. My body responds well to regular balanced exercise, and walking certainly fills that bill. On the way in I saw four or five senior men out, shoveling, hand-plowing, or sweeping. Their cars and trucks were inside, turned off. Maybe they actually wanted to be out there in the frigid temperatures. These men were getting their exercise and protecting pedestrians' safety. They'd accomplished something already at an early hour.

They all wore huge grins on their faces. Their spirits seemed boosted by the brisk air and maybe even because they felt needed, useful, industrious. Each greeted me warmly, and some even wanted to chat.

"Great day for skiing!", "At least it's a light snow!" "Have a nice day!" Their words of encouragement warmed my heart while my hair and hood froze to my cheeks. Remembering them makes me smile.

Driving seems a progressively less attractive alternative for transportation. Tomorrow even colder temperatures, possibly below zero, may occur. That's what the weather report predicts. So I add another layer. Harold prefers to think of me conveyed in a warm, locked, two-ton machine. Safe-and-sound. But I look forward to the walk, and maybe I prefer it.

When the sun brightens the sky earlier in the day, beautiful sunrises will greet me on the way to school. Of course I prefer that over the dark early morning winter skies. But it's solitude either way. It's cleaner to walk rather than drive no matter what time of year I do it. It's exercise all the same. And maybe a few grandpas will be out to shout "Good Morning again, young lady!" to me as I make my way to school.

No comments:

Post a Comment