Thursday, January 13, 2011

1-13-11 5:55 pm Speed, Stress, and Snowpants

Temperatures were high enough this morning for me to walk without the sound of poly-vinyl friction punctuating each step. And the snow squished rather than squeaked for each step. My hood flapped behind me and the air felt down-right balmy.

Attire each morning until now (this year) included a work outfit bundled underneath the aforementioned snow pants, a down parka reaching to mid-thigh, well-insulated mittens, a headscarf, hood, and leather boots. Friends look aghast when I tell them I'm comfortable. One warns of frostbite on a regular basis. If I stood stock-still for 45 minutes, maybe.

Some joggers and their dog passed me this morning. They reminded me of a story my mother tells, that goes something like this:

A well-liked village farmer rises each day, puts in a hard day's labor, and relaxes with his family and an evening meal at sunset. His favorite activities: Watching the sun set, playing with his grandchildren, and sharing stories of his childhood with loved ones.

On one such evening, a semi-retired businessman on vacation strolls past. Seeing the tired man and his dirty grandchildren playing in the mud, he offers:

"You should come work for my company. The hours are killer at first, but you will eventually become financially secure, and be able to take your family on vacation to places like this instead of working your fingers to the bone."

To which the wizened villager replies:

"Why should I put my nose to the grindstone, miss my family, and shorten my life with stress, when I have all I want right here? Keep your money and your prestige. This is the life for me.

Joggers plod away determinedly, in their high-tech togs. Gym-members faithfully attend their expensive facilities. I admire them, but for myself I ask: "Why lay out all that cash, when I can simply walk? It saves money in gas, and wear and tear on my vehicle. It's also uncommonly good for the environment."

And walking calms me. Something about the ability to shave minutes by simply speeding just a few miles per hour gets my heart racing. Can I squeeze in a quick grocery-store stop? Can I leave just a few minutes later? Can I sleep just a little longer? I'm stressed before even arriving at work, and who knows what the day will bring?

Walking is the way to go for me. I arrive at my destination refreshed, and ready to focus. I leave on time, and suddenly, work stays at work. At home I'm with my family, eating dinner with my husband and daughter. Magically, my work week has reduced to 50 hours per week (approximately). Living the life in the way I want, with the people I love, all for simply walking. My life feels truly blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment