Tuesday, February 8, 2011

2-8-11 6:20 pm Driving

So, I had to drive again today. This feels ridiculous. Drive. Drive. Drive. So much for carless transportation!

There.

Now that I vented, I feel, well, it still irks me that our schedule sometimes requires driving. And then again, we felt so much warmer in the car. Slipping and falling, possibly breaking a bone, none of that occurred safe in our two-tons of metal.

As my expectations shift, making room for weather and schedule allowances, I wonder: why is "carless transportation" so important to me? Relentless eco-awareness? Guilt? Longing for simpler times, or a simpler life? Exercise? Quality walking time with Anne?

Maybe I just want to avoid driving. Maybe I worry about crashing, or that my lack of depth perception will wind up getting someone else injured. I know this: when I walk rather than drive, I enjoy my life to a fuller extent.

Ah. That perspective feels so much better: thinking about the joy of walking rather than the complex issues driving presents. This idea needs more time to evolve.

No comments:

Post a Comment