The morning dawned as I walked to work this morning. And with it a new eara: Harold walked with me for part of the distance, to meet his own exercise needs. This switch gave me pause for thought. Would I miss time alone? It turned out his company felt delightful. And he found the camping supplies, thus a whistle. So, husband in tow, prepared with a whistle, I began a vigorous day with an energizing walk.
The biggest thing I've missed over the past several days of driving I discovered: smiling at on-coming cars. Smiling releases my own endorphines, so that's a plus, and I like to fanticize how it lifts the spirits of any driver who sees my "happy face".
"Yeah, I was driving to work today, and I saw this woman walking. She smiled at me, and it got my day off to a brighter start." - That sort of thing. Of course solo walking also gave me time to think.
Anne will attend middle school next year, and by virtue of pure numbers, she's limited to attend our neighborhood option. It's a good school, that falls a bit short of meeting her musical needs. We'd struggled to find a solution, and this morning it came to me: just skip the music for now. She's showing an interest in drawing anyway, so skip the music this year in favor of art and language classes.
Previously I felt trapped into making the school decision based on music programs. Instead, after a good long walk, the choice seems clear: take advantage of the best that school has to offer, and continue to support her musical life outside of school. Anyway, what would we rather do, continue to pay for her music lessons, or add art and language tutoring expenses on top of that. Let the schools do what they do best, and we'll continue to care for her in the ways we've previously done. Middle School, here we come!
No comments:
Post a Comment