I needed to drive today. During conferences we stay at school sometimes until after dark. Harold worries about me walking home at night, and I guess I agree. So I dutifully drove, chanting the whole way to school: "balance. balance. balance." Even though the driving option provides safety on days like today, I still struggle with the choice. And then some magic happened.
One friend needed a ride home, and then another, and by the end, we had a multi-person carpool going. We talked about our day, laughed together, and they even helped me run a very quick errand - more on that later. What really felt wonderful: debriefing about our day with people who instantly identified. Explanations and background knowledge exist with coworkers that otherwise needs building with life partners. Harold sort of understands what conference days require, and he certainly wants to support me. In fact he listens beautifully, and supports me greatly. Even so, having coworkers to air out the day's events feels gratifying.
And now for the errand: Something seems spooky about our church at night, deserted. I needed, however, to pick up some music on my way home for this week's upcoming worship. My friends offered to come in with me: "Now, tell the truth, Jeannie, do you want us to come in?!" Of course I answered "yes", and in they came. The spooky feel led to two wonderful little conversations. One: They complimented our building, which felt validating, and what feels better than complimenting one's house of worship? It felt almost similar to if they complimented my own home. Two: We shared ghost stories, great fun!
Anyway, while it felt tough to drive in, I ended up very happy about my choice. It definately benefitted me and several others too. Maybe we will do it again sometime...
No comments:
Post a Comment